Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hunter.

I met a boy last week who definitely deserves a blog post titled with his name. :)

I was walking home from campus, in my usual way: Sauntering silently along without more than smiling at anyone, but smiling nonetheless.  You see I have this thing, when I walk home I feel guilty if I head on my way without acknowledging the people walking around me because I seem to always be reminded that I am walking by children of God.  People I may have known before I came to this earth.  It's something I like to think about while I walk home, and it helps me to not feel so silly about smiling at everyone. :)

Anyway, this being said, I can't ever seem to get up enough courage to speak to any of these complete strangers (ehem. . . or said children of God). Well as I walked home I stayed in my area of the sidewalk.  There was someone a few feet in front of me and someone a few feet behind, so obviously I needed to stay in my area so that we werent awkwardly close.  I think it's just a part of some code you've gotta keep to be permitted on the sidewalk. ;)

Then as the guy in front of me was going down some stairs he turned around and glanced at me and then kept walking.  This was definitely breaking the code, I'm sure of it.  I was caught a little bit off guard, but I think I still smiled; and we continued on keeping our distance.

As I got closer to the end of the hill I picked up my pace and made the brave decision to pass the man in front of me. When I was just to the left of him he broke the code AGAIN! This random guy started talking to me, and you know what he said?

"Isn't it kind of ridiculous how people always walk right next to each other, and never seem to say anything? I mean we're at BYU, we have enough things in common to talk about."

I was amazed. And obviously I agreed, but did I have the courage to say that outloud? No way.  I could barely get up the courage to say "hi" to people I'd never met.

Well, this guys name was Hunter, and we had a wonderful conversation, but quite short because we each had to go separate ways. 

Hunter talking to me really made my day, he said what I've always thought but never had enough courage to change.  How could I break the code? Now I know, you just do it. I didn't think he was crazy, so maybe people won't think I"m crazy if I try. And really, What's there to lose?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment